Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Let there be Life

 When I said I was going to program the game from scratch, I wasn’t kidding. As I am trying to move back to test driven development, as I believe the AI world of programming will become more natural language programming with the responsibility of the programmers to make sure that what the natural language produces actually works properly so creating and testing programs will become a vital skill for the future of programming. I don’t think programmers will be going away, but their roles will be more focused on design, testing, security, and optimization. Still, using a testing framework would be third party, so I wrote my own simple testing framework (when I post the final version the tests will be included).

Writing automated tests seems to be slow, but I notice that I find bugs much quicker and am a bit more confident that my code does what it is supposed to. My tests are not as thorough as they should be but good enough for the scope of the project I am working on.

When creating the game, I realized my idea of moving cells was very problematic, so opted for a growing effect with the eating of cells being a predominant feature. Text versions seemed to work so I bit the bullet and created a graphical version (manually tested as graphics/GUIs are way too painful to automate, and if the underlying code it calls is tested there shouldn’t be a problem).

The simulation was automated and just generating random grids results in really cool results. The first phase has been posted so Thursday I will be focusing on creating an editor and the weekend on putting together a short campaign where you will be given a map and need to place your cells in such a way that they will take over the map. Something has come up for Wednesday, so while I might get an hour or two in, it is likely not going to be very much. Hopefully I will have something Thursday night to show, as Friday is busy. Why everything comes up when I want to do a Game Jam is annoying, but it is what it is.

The first build is available at https://spelchan.com/games/y2023/HexLife/index.php

See you Thursday???

No comments:

Post a Comment